Re: High-res Customize icons

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: High-res Customize icons
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 08:37:53 -0400

On 25/04/2020 03.02, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I asked whether other programs do that, and if that is considered a
> good idea.  The only reply I got seemed to suggest this is not
> something program usually do or consider a good idea.  Which is what
> I'd expect.

Sorry, I thought I had replied.
I'm not sure whether it's considered a good idea, but it's very common for
programs implemented using web technologies (HTML, Javascript, CSS).
Traditionally, the many small bitmaps needed by a website were shipped as a
single image concatenating all of them (called a CSS image sprite).  Lately,
I've seen most websites move to the like of (the non-free icon set) fontawesome.
There's heavy debate in the web community about this topic (SVG vs icon fonts),
but little of it applies to us, because it's mostly about browser support and
delivery speeds.

A quick survey of editors, as far as I can tell from a quick look:
- Visual Studio Code use svg files
- Atom uses an icon font (octicon)
- SublimeText (non-free) uses png, with variants (labelled @2, @3) for high-dpi
screens