Re: High-res Customize icons

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: High-res Customize icons
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 15:19:16 -0400

> On Apr 22, 2020, at 2:38 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> From: chad <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 11:28:11 -0700
>> Cc: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>,
>>      EMACS development team <address@hidden>
>>
>> We don't use fonts for the icons, so I don't think I understand the
>> question.
>>
>> I think messages are crossing in-flight. The recent suggestion in the thread
>> was that the right-triangle-bullet
>> the OP wants to improve in Customize could be implemented nicely with such
>> an font.
>>
>> From: Yuri Khan
>>
>>  I wonder if it’s even worthwhile having a bitmap for this. These days, it
>> could as well be any of ▶/▼,
>> ▷/▽, ▸/▾, or ▹/▿. It would even work on some text terminals.
>
> Bad idea, IMO.

Why a bad idea? I’m curious to know. From what I can see, unicode glyphs looks
pretty good and comes for free, and as Yuri said they could even work on text
terminals. At least for the simple shapes like ▶/▼, they seems to be a good
option.

BTW, as for the location of the code that inserts those icons, I’ve found them
in cus-edit.el. They are inserted by custom-visibility widget (using
widget-image-insert).

Yuan