Re: High-res Customize icons

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: High-res Customize icons
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 00:12:44 +0300

>         Thanks, actually I was referring to the triangle icon in the
>         customize buffer:
>
>         <Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 8.19.00 AM.png>
>
>     You got it nice; it’s actually the right size, just jagged. For me on
>     GTK+/GNU/Linux, it’s rendered at half size.
>
>     I wonder if it’s even worthwhile having a bitmap for this. These days,
>     it could as well be any of ▶/▼, ▷/▽, ▸/▾, or ▹/▿. It would even work on
>     some text terminals.
>
> That’s also a good idea. Different fonts could render the character
> slightly differently, but I guess that’s not a big problem. Anyway I still
> couldn’t find the code to modify to use other icons. The readme says those
> icons are made by Juri, maybe he knows.

I see no alternative to current icons because ASCII art
characters have own problems explained by Eli in
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-09/msg00268.html

This is why the tab-bar moved from Unicode characters to images,
but another attempt to use SVG failed as was demonstrated in
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-09/msg00414.html

But in any case feel free to try other options.

BTW, if you want to see a funny effect, try typing 'r' when point
is on the arrow in the customize buffer - it will rotate the image :-)

There are other image keys used in the customize buffer,
e.g. '+' will zoom the image (function 'image-increase-size'),
so maybe you could just increase image size instead of using
2x image files.