Re: High-res Customize icons

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: High-res Customize icons
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 18:20:41 -0400

I see no alternative to current icons because ASCII art
characters have own problems explained by Eli in
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-09/msg00268.html

This is why the tab-bar moved from Unicode characters to images,
but another attempt to use SVG failed as was demonstrated in
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-09/msg00414.html

But in any case feel free to try other options.

BTW, if you want to see a funny effect, try typing 'r' when point
is on the arrow in the customize buffer - it will rotate the image :-)

There are other image keys used in the customize buffer,
e.g. '+' will zoom the image (function 'image-increase-size'),
so maybe you could just increase image size instead of using
2x image files.

Aha, that’s pretty cool :-)

To be clear, I’m not looking for a larger icon, but one with higher resolution. “2x” basically means I make a 18x18 px image and render it in “9x9 size”, which looks better than a 9x9 image on a HiDPI screen. Maybe Apple can explain it better than I do: https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/ios/icons-and-images/image-size-and-resolution/. You can have a look at the images my previous message, the 9x9 one looks a bit fuzzy and the high-res one looks sharp.

Yuan