Re: High-res Customize icons

From: chad
Subject: Re: High-res Customize icons
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 22:47:54 -0700

Worth noting: If I understand correctly, the toolbar buttons are not the same sort of emacs item as the Customize buttons; the former are restricted specifically to the toolbar (and maybe the tab-bar, now?), and use a traditional GUI update/repaint/etc method, whereas customize buttons appear in buffers, and have to deal with the redisplay engine, as well as needing to work in both terminal and various-gui frames.

It might be possible to use xwidgets to put gui toolkit buttons into buffers. I've just started looking at the xwidget stuff myself, for webkit integration. It seems somewhat unstable, but that might be webkit or my unusual environment.

Hope that helps,
~Chad

You might also be interested in q thread from 2017, https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-10/msg00470.html, where I posted a patch to make tool-bar--image-_expression_ load PNG and SVG images.  I use a variant of that in my Emacs modes, to get scalable icons in (GTK) toolbars.