eliot-dev

Re: [Eliot-dev] Catalan language file and dictionary

From: Olivier Teuliere
Subject: Re: [Eliot-dev] Catalan language file and dictionary
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:17:36 +0200

Hi Joan,

[I re-added the eliot-dev ML in Cc:, forgotten in my first reply].

The ca.po file is now in the repository, and will be part of the next
release. Thanks for your contribution!

Concerning the dictionary, you are right that digraphs are not
supported. What is supported, however, is the handling of any (single)
unicode character. This means that with the current version of Eliot,
you can already do much better than K, Q, W and Y. You could use for
example the following substitutions:
Ç-->Ç (no substitution needed!)
L·L-->Ŀ (U+013F)
NY-->Ñ (U+00D1)
QU-->Q
These are only suggestions, feel free to use more convenient ones. But
you shouldn't choose too exotic characters, because they will be hard
to input by the players (except with copy-paste)...

I won't save the current version of the dictionary in the repository,
because I prefer to store the uncompressed word list rather than a
binary file, even if .dawg files are offered for download on the
website. Could you please send me a link to the word list you used?

I agree with your analysis concerning digraph (or multi-characters)
support, but I need to know a bit more about Catalan Scrabble first:
1) Is it guaranteed that NY in a word is always played with one tile?
Or could it mean "N tile followed by Y tile"? Same question for QU.
2) How would players input "L·L"? It may not be easy to support
various input methods (like 'L', '.', 'L' being equal to 'L', '·',
'L'), so I'd prefer to be sure each tile has only one "canonical"
input method.

Best regards,
--
Olivier