eliot-dev

Re: [Eliot-dev] Catalan language file and dictionary

From: Joan Montané
Subject: Re: [Eliot-dev] Catalan language file and dictionary
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 20:06:57 +0200

Hi Olivier

2009/6/28 Olivier Teuliere <address@hidden>:
> I have added support for display strings and alternative input
> strings, and it works rather well (see [1] for a screenshot with both
> the interface and the dictionary in Catalan).

Really great!!!

> The only bug I'm aware of is that typing 'Q' or 'Y' transforms the
> string into 'QU' or 'NY' respectively, which should not happen, since
> the internal character is not supposed to be a valid input string for
> the tile. I know where the bug comes from, but I don't know how to fix
> it yet :-) However, it shouldn't prevent playing normally.

Well, it's not a bih bug. :-D

> I would appreciate if you could make some tests on your side and see
> if you find more bugs, or places where the display strings are not
> used, for example. The DANOSC dictionary in the new format and a
> compiled version of Eliot for Debian/Ubuntu can be found in [2]. I
> cannot build a Windows binary at the moment, so if you are on Windows
> you will need to wait a bit more, sorry :-)

Of course, I'll start testing now. I have an Ubuntu laptop. There
isn't problem to test it.

> Do you still plan to send feature requests? If so, I will probably
> integrate these features in the next release as well, if they don't
> take too long to implement.

Well, the main feature request is an option to validate/unvalidate
manually words, specially for duplicate mode (also for computer
player). The reason is that DANOSC (and maybe other languages)
dictionary it's not 100% perfect. We have detected some missing and
wrong words in DANOSC. It's a quick hack from Linux catalan dictionary
and it's hard to update properly.

We are already working in an official wordlist form scratch (for easy
fixing) but it's a long term project. Also, we have take the decission
to not update DANOSC wordlist (we carry the errors up the new official
wordlist will be done).

Another minor request is a master duplicate mode. I think in France
it's also played. This mode requiere save and load features, :-(

In master duplicate a player, call it Master, planned a full duplicate
game (racks and played turns).
Then, the others players, play duplicate as normal, but the racks are
the racks planned by Master (they aren't random), and the choosed
played word is always de Master played word, neverless isn't the
better score. This mode is played in schools.

> Regards,
> --
> Olivier

Yours,