eliot-dev

[Eliot-dev] Catalan language file and dictionary

From: Joan Montané
Subject: [Eliot-dev] Catalan language file and dictionary
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 22:14:08 +0200

Hi all,

I'm Catalan Scrabble player, my English is bad, but my French is
worst, so I'll write in English. I can read French a little, so fell
free to write in French, thanks.

Last months I found Eliot project, also quackle project, and some
Catalan Scrabble players are working on both projects to allow play
with Catalan on them.

In [1], you can download a ca.po file with (almost) all the Eliot strings
translated, and in [2] a Catalan dictionary file, based on a good
enough train wordlist, not official, neither perfect, but the best
publicy avaiable in Catalan. Please, add them to the trunk code,
thanks

Now, a little of text....

Catalan tiles distribution has some special tiles:

Ç (different form C tile, in Catalan, unlike French, Ç letter is
played with a true Ç tile)
L·L (a trigraph unique in Catalan, it's not allowed to play two L
tiles to emulate them)
NY (a digraph, there is'n Y tile in Catalan)
QU (the original Q tile of Mattel's is always played like QU tile)

I've checked Eliot, but it lacks on digraph support, so I have done
the following substitution on letter distribution and dictionary
contents (same changes done in quackle hack)
Ç-->K
L·L-->W
NY-->Y
QU-->Q

With these changes, we can play in Catalan, but it's realy to ugly to
show a W instead of L·L, or Y instead of NY.

There are at least three languages using digraphs on Scrabble:
Catalan, Spanish, Welsh. So, I request support for digraphs tiles on
Eliot project.

Best regards, Joan Montané.

[1] http://www.montane.cat/danosc/eliot/ca.po
[2] http://www.montane.cat/danosc/eliot/danosc.dawg