Re: [Denemo-devel] Need some direction/clarification

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Need some direction/clarification
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 08:37:21 +0000

On Fri, 2013-02-15 at 01:38 +0100, Onyeibo Oku wrote:

> I have attached the one I did with MuseScore before it went berserk.
> That communicates the kind of stemming I'm targeting.  The only places
> where stems are not unified are places where the voices don't share
> the
> same note lengths.

There are commands in LilyPond to do this - \partCombine,
\partcombineChords, .... These haven't had commands written for them
inside Denemo though, so they would require you to study the LilyPond
syntax and insert the LilyPond (either with the Directives->Insert
LilyPond, or more likely by writing a custom layout (View->Score
Layouts).

What I did for the keyboard piece I referred to was to write the notes
that shared a stem as a chord. This is ok for a keyboard piece where
there are not literally separate vocal parts but would be an unpleasant
way to write a choral piece.

At the moment I am very busy trying to build version 1.0 for windows, so
I don't really have time to experiment with where the \partCombine
commands would be placed - if you can work with the LilyPond text to get
the output you want (the lilypond-user list is very helpful and the
LilyPond documentation very accurate) then it will be easy to add the
commands needed to Denemo.