Re: [Denemo-devel] Need some direction/clarification

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Need some direction/clarification
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 17:35:51 +0000

On Thu, 2013-02-14 at 18:01 +0100, Onyeibo Oku wrote:

> Interface wise, its more user-friendly especially for those with
> background knowledge in Finale.  However, when it comes to doing the
> work I prefer Denemo.  MuseScore corrupted my music beyond repair and
> their IRC channel has human-stubs (people who don't respond).  In
> MuseScore you can edit 4-layers of voices on one staff, note heads are
> given different colours to distinguish their voice layer.  The colours
> do not show in the final print.  I don't mind having a staff per voice
> as with Denemo as long as I get a neat printout eventually.
To see the sort of thing you can do with polyphonic voices see the
Pavana Dolorosa example that I put on denemo.org (linked from the about
page, it is the file galleries).
In that example there are 5 or 6 voices needed in places
http://imslp.org/wiki/Pavana_&_Galliarda_Dolorosa_(Philips,_Peter) is
the final typeset.
>   Its less
> confusing working in Denemo because the application does not switch
> voices (MuseScore keeps guessing you want to work on a layer that is
> wrong ... so you waste a bit of time switching voices)

yes, you can still display voices on the same staff in Denemo, but that
gives all the same problems (Staffs->Voices->Join Voices or some such,
don't bother!)
It is one of the strengths of Denemo that it is not wysiwyg, so you can
show more clearly what the music is (e.g. differentiate slurs from ties
or whole bar rests from semibreve rests(*)). But, I have found uses for
wysiwyg operations too, e.g. adjusting the angle of a beam and these are
just becoming available. If you need to drag rests in polyphonic works,
for example, this could be done by a wysiwyg operation on the final
typeset score, but I haven't scripted it yet, you have to use the
commands in the menu system for doing that.

(*) this reminds me - I think you had that mistake in your score - at
one point you had a semibreve (whole-note) rest where it was really
supposed to be a whole bar rest. These are different things - see rests
menu.