Re: [certi-dev] CERTI 3.3.3 should be out this week.

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] CERTI 3.3.3 should be out this week.
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 09:08:26 +0200

2009/10/16 Martin Spott <address@hidden>:
> Eric Noulard wrote:
>
>> Yes the 'built-in' path /usr/local/share/federations was removed
>> in favor of CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX/share/federations
>> in order to make CERTI look in the specific  CERTI installation
>> which seems a better option than "hardcoded" /usr/local etc...
>> see: https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?6938
>
> Ah, I see - my bad, apparently I didn't read the patch thoroughly,
> maybe because I didn't expect _such_ change ....
>
>> If this breaks your current usage, I think we can re-add
>> the /usr/local hard-coded option as the ultimate search option.
>
> Well, it doesn't break any "production use", just my "test case",
> therefore I wouldn't call it "serious".
> If I may add my vote, then I'd like to point out that I'm not convinced
> about forcing to install config files together with the software into
> the same location is really best UNIX practise.

In fact we are not really "forcing"  because RTIG is looking in 3
differents places:
    1) try the bare filename  such that if an absolute path is
provided it will be used first
    2) try $CERTI_HOME/share/federations
    3) try PACKAGE_INSTALL_PREFIX + "/share/federation/" + FEDid_name

CERTI_HOME is user configurable but may in fact be redundant with 3), but
3) was added in order to makes it possible not to have to define CERTI_HOME.

We are lacking some user-defined place (or even places list).
I think I will re-add the builtin /usr/local/share/federations for the
3.3.3 release
in order to avoid breakage and plan some user configurable search path
for next release.

http://www.april.org