Re: [be] Re: Request for updated BE .deb packages? (for Mint)

From: Neil Mayhew
Subject: Re: [be] Re: Request for updated BE .deb packages? (for Mint)
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 13:17:50 -0600

On 2010-05-20 12:54 PM Jonathan Marsden wrote:
If you compiled Bibledit by hand earlier, and installed it under /usr/local, that copy will still be there, and you should probably remove it (by hand -- I don't know of an automated way to uninstall locally compiled BibleTime)

With other programs, I've been able to do a fake installation to a temporary location, like this:

make install DESTDIR=/tmp/fakeinstall

That will show you the names of all the files that got installed to /usr/local previously. You can then go and remove them by hand, or run a command like this:

(cd /tmp/fakeinstall; find * -type f -print0) | (cd /; sudo xargs -0 rm)

However, since this is more than a little dangerous I recommend doing it by hand unless the person is really comfortable in bash.

--Neil