Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-libc 1.0?

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-libc 1.0?
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:56:27 GMT

> As E. Weddington wrote:
>
> > Speaking of installing.... what about installing
gcrt1.S? I
> > know it doesn't make much sense for *nix, since most
> > everybody has the avr-libc source. But for Windows
people,
> > they hardly ever grab the source and there have been a
> > number of people that want to customize their startup
(I
> > know that they can do it in various sections, however).
>
> But the same would apply for any other avr-libc source
file.  See,
> someone has gotten problems with malloc in his RTOS
environment, and
> might want to modify it.  The next guy is unhappy about
fdevopen()
> wanting to malloc() something (though i'm already
thinking about a
> link-time alternative for this one).

(Mmm. That'd be good. I'm not fond of using malloc in my
projects.) (BTW, Don't forget about the malloc bug in the
list.)

> Maybe it should just be made easier for Win* folks to get
the entire
> avr-libc source installed?  After all, the entire source
is 1.7 MB
> extracted, 317 KB zipped, that's peanuts.

Good point.

>As an added bonus, WinAVR
> could offer the decision to keep (or avr-strip -g)
debugging symbols
> at install-time (as opposed to always, as it's now), so
people who are
> going to keep them, /and/ are installing the source, will
be able to
> single-step through the library code as well as their
application
> code.  That's something they could not get with any of
the commercial
> compilers. ;-) (It requires that you install the source
into the same
> directory on the target machine you've been using to
compile WinAVR,
> but i guess that's easy enough as a default anyway.)
>
> Not avr-strip -g'ing is safe for anyone except AVR Studio
3 users,
> even with no source code installed.  AVR Studio 4 and
VMLAB (and
> avr-gdb, for that matter) don't break if they can't find
a source
> file, that's only AS3 that stumples across it.

s/stumples/stumbles/

Since we're trying to get AS3 deprecated, it sounds like it
would be better to not avr-strip -g at all, and put a note
in the readme on how to do it if using AS3, but recommend
AS4. (BTW, Any word from your Atmel contacts about the new
AS4 DLL?).

I'd rather not put the source in a user's project
directory; there may be more then one, it could change,
etc. But I can put in the winavr install tree, and again, a
note in the readme. I can leave it up to the user to copy
as needed.

OK, good arguments. I'll include the full avr-libc source
and drop the avr-strip -g.