Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-libc 1.0?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-libc 1.0?
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:12:47 +0200

As E. Weddington wrote:

> Speaking of installing.... what about installing gcrt1.S? I
> know it doesn't make much sense for *nix, since most
> everybody has the avr-libc source. But for Windows people,
> they hardly ever grab the source and there have been a
> number of people that want to customize their startup (I
> know that they can do it in various sections, however).

But the same would apply for any other avr-libc source file.  See,
someone has gotten problems with malloc in his RTOS environment, and
might want to modify it.  The next guy is unhappy about fdevopen()
wanting to malloc() something (though i'm already thinking about a
link-time alternative for this one).

Maybe it should just be made easier for Win* folks to get the entire
avr-libc source installed?  After all, the entire source is 1.7 MB
extracted, 317 KB zipped, that's peanuts.  As an added bonus, WinAVR
could offer the decision to keep (or avr-strip -g) debugging symbols
at install-time (as opposed to always, as it's now), so people who are
going to keep them, /and/ are installing the source, will be able to
single-step through the library code as well as their application
code.  That's something they could not get with any of the commercial
compilers. ;-) (It requires that you install the source into the same
directory on the target machine you've been using to compile WinAVR,
but i guess that's easy enough as a default anyway.)

Not avr-strip -g'ing is safe for anyone except AVR Studio 3 users,
even with no source code installed.  AVR Studio 4 and VMLAB (and
avr-gdb, for that matter) don't break if they can't find a source
file, that's only AS3 that stumples across it.

> > I've also seen that a fix for bug #2924 is sitting in my
> tree

> Jörg, did you get my forward from Reiner? You should be
> able to fix this one as you see fit.

Yes, i'll have to check all this (including my old email exchange with
Reiner on that topic).