Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-libc 1.0?

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-libc 1.0?
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:57:00 GMT

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, E. Weddington wrote:
>
> :) Hello All,
> :)
> :) I wanted to bring up the subject of making a possible
1.0 release
> :) of avr-libc.
> :)
> :) It seems the GCC folks are targeting 3.3.1 for Friday,
July 18. I
> :) am starting to contemplate a WinAVR release for the
week after that
> :) (after which I'll leave on a 2 week vacation).
> :)
> :) Could it be feasible to target an avr-libc 1.0 for the
same time
> :) frame?
> :)
> :) I know that everybody is incredibly busy with the
various AVR
> :) projects as well as private lives. I was thinking,
perhaps if we
> :) have to seriously prune the todo list to finish it
off. Most of the
> :) items are documentation items, so hopefully it won't
be too bad. To
> :) that end, I'm going to focus on getting a better build
system that
> :) I keep talking about, and try to build the docs here.
> :)
> :) Of course this may not be feasible, given the projects
in the works:
> :) 1. Ted: rewrite of GDB AVR port.
> :) 2. Jörg: binutils COFF patch.
> :) 3. Ted: various avarice stuff.
> :) 4. avrdude?
> :) ...
> :)
> :) Opinions?
>
> It's possible. Is it time to set the version number to
0.99.90cvs and
> freeze the code (no new features, bug fixes only)?

I would be willing to do that in the near future. Before
that:
1. I know Reiner has some good string functions that are
ready to be committed. Last I heard, he was working on a
system to do CVS with. I don't know where he currently
stands with this.
2. I'll probably add some more small macros to pgmspace.h
(that was discussed here recently).

Anybody else have new stuff to add?

> There's a few bug reports that could be closed before a
release. Those
> that are going to be deferred, should be added to the
TODO file as
> such and a comment added to the report.

Agreed.

> I've still got a bit of work to do on avr-gdb that I need
to do before
> I can commit it. I also need to get it committed before
they cut the
> 6.0 branch (tenatively set for 2003-06-21).

By all means. :)