auctex-devel

Re: Output to directory patch

From: Al Haji-Ali
Subject: Re: Output to directory patch
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 13:01:23 +0000

Hello Ikumi

> At last I managed to try your updated patch. It works with preview-latex
> for plain cases, but still doesn't work for file name with space, e.g.
> "abc def.tex", unfortunately.

Thanks for testing this.

I was trying to make preview-region work when `TeX-region` has a sub-directory,
but inadvertently broke the behaviour in the case you mentioned. I now fixed
the "fix" and the new patch (in the same location) should work for filenames
with spaces.

> Also, I wonder whether it can be simplified or not. Is it really
> necessary to introduce a new variable TeX-command-file-function and
> tweak the argument of TeX-save-document? It seems that Mosè's approach
> doesn't need such complexity. Are TeX-active-master function and
> TeX-current-process-region-p variable deficient for those purposes?
I agree that introducing the new variable is excessive. However, I was trying
to conform to the implementation of TeX-save-document which accepts the name of
the document instead of using TeX-active-master or TeX-master-file and the
implementation of TeX-command which accepts the filename along with a file
function. I could certainly instead call TeX-active-master instead, but then
(at least in theory) TeX-command or TeX-save-document might be called with a
filename or a file-function that is different from TeX-master-file and
TeX-region-file and their outputs (I thought that was the reason these
functions accept such arguments) and then my code would break or have an
unintended behaviour.

Best regards,
-- Al