auctex-devel

Re: Output to directory patch

From: Al Haji-Ali
Subject: Re: Output to directory patch
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 09:12:49 +0000

Hello Mosè,

On 14/02/2021, Mosè Giordano wrote:
> for the record I tried to work on this back in 2013:
> https://github.com/giordano/auctex/commit/9c0eb5d4f2f82f4ff22683ef218727b6a45ae54d
> (I believe this was based on a previous attempt by Ralf Angeli, but I
> can't find a reference for this).  I'm pretty sure I didn't push this
> forward because I faced some fundamental challenges that would have
> made the functionality only half-baked.  Probably Keita identified
> some of those issues.
Thanks for this. I didn't know about your attempt and it definitely has some
things for me to learn (I noticed that I missed to pass the correct arguments
in TeX-print-command which I now do).

I noticed that your attempt is for both the jobfile name and for the
`--output-directory` option. Mine is only for the latter, so perhaps the
smaller objective is easier to accomplish?

Also your implementation is more methodical and certainly more ideal than mine.
Mine is based on bootstrapping TeX-master-file to return the correct path for
output files which made it work 95% of the time but had some unintended
consequences that I then had to correct.

I think the implementation should work for the majority of cases, but will
never work for all cases because, among other things, of the particularties of
tex engines that Ikumi outlined regarding \include and packages that create
temporary files. Nevertheless, I don't think we should make perfect the enemy
of good in this case, especially since the user can control this configuration
on a per-buffer basis.

Best regards,
-- Al