auctex-devel

Re: Output to directory patch

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: Output to directory patch
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 15:24:25 +0100

>>> "IK" == Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> writes:
Hi Ikumi,

> Hi Al,
> I noticed another problem. AUCTeX usually detects that the output file
> (pdf or dvi) is ready to view when the user typed C-c C-c sufficient
> times repeatedly. However, after your patch is applied, that feature no
> longer works when TeX-output-dir is non-nil. How many times the user
> types C-c C-c in a buffer without intermediate editing, AUCTeX always
> suggests "LaTeX" as default command and never suggests "View" as
> default. This makes C-c C-a useless.

Ok, I switched a while ago to C-c C-v for viewing and C-c C-c so I am
not too affected by this problem, but others might.

> Generally speaking, it seems that this kind of task (=keeping the
> document directory clean) should be taken care of by external tool
> dedicated for that purpose. I came across blog posts discussing
> this issue[1] and summarizing such tools[2]. (Note that these posts are
> written in Japanese.) Actually I was made aware of subdiretory issue of
> \include from the post[1]. The author of these posts claims that
> "--output-directory" is too deficient and actually created one of the
> tools mentioned above, ClutTeX[3].

Hm, I have tried to set up some basic scripts for cleaning clutter in my
directories, but I must say, I much prefer Al's solution, it just keeps
your directory tidy from the beginning

> Taking into the difficulties to make it compatible with preview-latex,
> I'd recommend to consider that you don't aim for a comprehensive tool
> but rather a tool with limited range of application, i.e., for users who
> don't need preview-latex and \include+subdirectory.

I am a big fan of  Al's patch and the functionality it provides (I am
currently not using preview latex much, sorry David and think that
subfiles has overtaken include (input is a another thing)).

But maybe you are right, it should't be

one ring to rule them all

So best would be to have a new  variable with toggle

This new  functionality (with restrictions mentioned) on and off.

Regards

Uwe