auctex-devel

Re: [BUG]

From: Al Haji-Ali
Subject: Re: [BUG]
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 17:28:21 +0000

On 03/02/2021, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> I am not sure I understand, if you put it say in the LaTeX-mode-hook,
> every time you open latex file this variable is set, so for all
> practical purpose it is global. Another point is that I thought one
> should avoid putting to much stuff in hooks because it slows down
> things. At least Carste Dominik claimed this in is cdlatex pkg comparing
> it with auctex.

Yes, that would work in practice.
Setting a single variable in a hook won't be noticeable, so I wouldn't worry
about the performance hit.

>> If you want to
>> include this in your emacs init to use a build directory by default
>> for all buffers be sure to use setq-default instead of setq.
>
> I am also not sure I see why I should use setq-default in this case. I
> thought I can use it say for abbrev

The new variable `TeX-build-dir` is a buffer-local variable.
When a new buffer is created, the default value of `TeX-build-dir` is nil,
unless you change the default value (after loading auctex) using `setq-default`.

To be clear, you can either set `TeX-build-dir` in a hook like
`LaTeX-mode-hook` or in your init
file using `setq-default`. What would not work is setting `TeX-build-dir` using
`setq` in your
init file.

Best regards,
-- Al