aleader-dev

[Aleader-dev] Re: Pronouns

From: joshua.hold
Subject: [Aleader-dev] Re: Pronouns
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 0:45:37 -0400

[I'm writing in a cybercafe so I have to be brief.]

> I'm having a hard time understanding it ...and am running out of time...
>
> This looks pretty interesting.  I skimmed it.  It seems promising bc
> it is a doable study -- probably just a small tweak from what I did
> for my dissertation.

Yah, that's what I want to emphasize.  We can verify
it in small steps too.

> I also like the bit about "an ambiguity in OCC"
> or pointing some kinda weakness in OCC, that is remediable via a
> nice doable study.
>
> Now, I have to grok exactly what you are proposing.  I decided passive
> reading was not working given 1) I am stupid 2) I am sleepy.  So a few
> active comments/questions....
>

> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> >
> > Discussion
> >
> > There was an essential inspiration I received (a few years ago) in the
> > construction of Aleader.  In academic terms, I would describe it as
> > organizing affect analysis around a TOM and the proposition that
> > pronouns (I, we, you, he, she, they) are _the_ basic TOM concepts.
>
> _the_ basic concepts?  Huh?  I feel much more comfortable with
> important concepts.  Whatever.
>
> > There is a natural correspondance:
> >
> > 2nd person pronouns : Intentionality Detector, Eye Detection Detector
> > and Shared Attention Mechanism.
>
> Okay, in sort of an intuitive way there might be some kinda
> correspondance.  I'm not exactly sure what it is but okay.

Yah, just bear with me.

> > 3rd person pronouns : Theory of Mind Mechanism
> >
> > Aleader theory is built from evidence found in language as is OCC.
>
> Hah!  One of my beefs is that OCC is based on introspection.  If you
> call that "evidence" okay.  But, empirical study is much better evidence.
>
> Anyway, I don't consider anything I've said earthshattering.  I'm
> essentially merely whinning about wording, framing, intensity of
> statements.
>
> > However, the emphasis is on pronouns. All other linguistic evidence is
> > integrated around a pronoun architecture.
>
> Okay whatever that means.
>

> > In your thesis, you are concerned with computing desirability.  I want
> > to combine pronoun appraisal with your goal appraisal.  This email
> > textually describes how this combination might work. Hopefully we can
> > meld the material into an empirical test.  I am hopeful that adding
> > pronoun appraisal is a small enough incremental step that we can build
> > on much of the groundwork laid by your thesis.
>
> Good.  I'm getting excited.
>

> > I included the plural pronoun "we" in my list (above).  Actually I
> > want to see how far we can get with only two people plus an witness.
> > This means three people, or two people if one of the participants also
> > takes on the role of the witness.  This is the minimum structure
> > needed to introduce 1st, 2nd, and 3rd person pronouns.  By limiting
> > ourselves to the minimum structure we carve out a smaller piece --
> > hopefully a tractable piece -- of the affect puzzle.
>
> Okay.  I'm still a little puzzled, but fine lets keep reading.

Think of it like a template or grammar production rule:

situation ::
  <1st person pronoun> <verb> <2nd person pronoun>

> > Let us take Figure 3.1: Example Clinical Workbook Item from your
> > thesis and re-write it in pronoun-desirability form.  For the sake of
> > brevity, I will choose an arbitrary interpretation instead of trying
> > to generate all possible interpretations.  We will add back
> > generativity later.
>
> Righto.
>

> > sentence #1: Tracy wants a banana.
> >
> > pronoun-desirability form:
> >   I (1st person) = Tracy
> >     [will be] happy = want a banana
>
> Okay, I thought "I" was always 1st person.  Does
> "(1st person)" indicate that you are referring to the
> 1st person sense of I as opposed to some other sense?
> Nah, I doubt that.  What else my J mean?  I dunno.
> Moving on...

I am indicating that the first-person pronoun "I" is bound to the person Tracy.

> [Will be] happy = want a banana.
>
> Hmm, [foo] means foo is optional in unix or regexp speak I think.  But I
> don't think he means that.  It could be a clarificatory parens, but then
> why not use ( rather than [....And sure, if you want X then this sorta
> equals if you get X then you will be happy.  Could this be what J is
> aluding to?

Yah, [] or () works for me.  I am trying to clarify
verb tense.

Maybe the reason my explaining is not clear is because
the English language is so quirky.  If you just read
it through then we can figure out how to present it
better later.