aleader-dev

[Aleader-dev] Re: Open Heart (was Re: Pronouns)

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: [Aleader-dev] Re: Open Heart (was Re: Pronouns)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:45:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

> I am becoming convinced that your "Open Heart" idea is the best way to
> move forward.  What _I_ need is a rigorous empirical test for _my_
> affective theory.  However, very few people seem interested in
> this research direction.  So it seems like a good hedge to design
> the project to easily encompasses other theories.  That should
> widen the appeal.  I think it is worth considering anything
> which can widen the appeal.
>
> Postpone enquiry into the details of my pronoun proposal.

Woa....Cool....Hmm, now I don't have anything to resist!  How
uncomfortable.  (-;

> Now I
> suggest going ahead with "Open Heart" with these tweaks:
>
> + There shall be accomodation for competing KR models of affect.

Definitely....At least I think so.

> + "Heart Logic" seems like a better name.  ("Open Heart" is a little
> bit too similar to "Open Heart Surgery".)

Ah, good.  Now I have something to resist.  (-:...Well, lets defer on
the question of names....I mean we can worry about what to call it
once we have somethign teency working.

> What's the next step?

I'd say make something teency work.  The idea:  Take my dissertation
surveys and make them into a web form....The web form shoudl have

1) a way to id the user (lower priority for starters)
2) a way for the user to give a rating of believability (scale of 1-5
I suppose)

beneath the hood there should be a KR model.  Or as you seem to suggest,
several KR models.

> We need to agree on licensing -- GPL?

I'm not knowledgeable enough on these matters to make a decision right
yet.  We can defer on this if and until we get something non-trivial.
I would consider "reimplemtning" my dissertation to be trivial.

> We need to decide on implementation -- Perl + Mysql + Apache?

Sure sounds good to me.  Dunno much 'bout any of those things.  But
they all seem nice and open sourcey and non M$-ey so I am happy.

Perl to glue stuff together.  Apache to serve web content.  Mysql
to hold data.

The other issue is what KR system to have under the covers.  Maybe we
could start with KM?

Woa.  I'm getting even more excited.  I don't think my brain can handle
this much serotonin.

Bill