advocate

Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Separate website?

From: Silvia Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Separate website?
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 09:38:56 +1000

I think the reason it's focused on Vorbis is because MP3 is seen as a sort of
standard for audio
distribution by a lot of people, and the FSF want to counter that as it's
patent-encumbered. Most
people don't usually use lossless formats such as FLAC, and speech compression
formats such as
Speex. Mentioning Theora might be a good idea though.

Theora as an alternative to MPEG-4 or Flash would be a good idea to promote.

I think the reason they only mention VLC is that they don't want to promote
proprietary software,
and that's one of the only free (as in freedom) media players that works well
on Windows and OS X,
is easy to install on them, and works with the Xiph codecs. There isn't
anything about software for
GNU/Linux users because they're assuming they already have the right software
to play Ogg Vorbis files.

Fair enough. The only problem with VLC is that it includes support for
non-proprietary codecs, too, raising all sorts of legal issues. So
calling it a "free media player as in freedom" is not quite correct,
but it is indeed a "free media player as in free beer". Your point
still holds true and I have indeed vlc installed on all my different
OSes. But I also have the oggcodecs installed on Windows and the
xiphqt on my Mac, because they bring support of Xiph codecs into the
OS-specific media frameworks, thus allowing many more applications to
support the codecs. Thus, my windows media player plays back ogg files
nicely, and my QuickTime player does, too.

Cheers,
Silvia.