advocate

Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Two thoughts: automated conversion, and radio4al

From: Michael Fötsch
Subject: Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Two thoughts: automated conversion, and radio4all.net.
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 12:06:31 -0700 (PDT)

Andreas K. Foerster wrote:
> On linux.com they currently have a daily series of Eben Moglen speeches
> in streaming Ogg Theora. So you can judge yourself. It works fine on
> my computer.
> http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/05/17/1616214
> http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/05/17/1640207
> http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/05/17/1641219

Thanks a lot. This answers my question whether anyone is using streaming Ogg
Theora already. (Or did VLC download the entire file and play it locally? It
would make a difference for a 100 MB file where you notice after 10 seconds of
watching that it's not interesting...)

Anyway, does anyone know where I can find information about setting up a
streaming Theora server, then? I seem to have problems finding a place to start
(Icecast doesn't seem to be the right place...). Someone posted a link to a
"StreamingVorbis" page earlier. Does the same exist for Theora?

I'd really like to see for myself whether this is easy to set up, so that I can
suggest this to web site maintainers and keep a straight face.

Kind Regards,
M.F.

Bored stiff? Loosen up...
http://games.yahoo.com/games/front