advocate

Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Separate website?

From: Pandu E Poluan
Subject: Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Separate website?
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 01:14:18 +0700

Well, I don't think merely acknowledging who first created something is against the FOSS philosophy. It is etiquette.

Anyways, these guys (Xiph) also needs some exposure outside the FOSS community. For Ogg Vorbis to succeed as a standard, the format must be supported by as wide a community as possible.

It is a sad fact that the majority of multimedia softwares in the world are non-FOSS, but it is a fact. Some of them are not yet supporting Ogg Vorbis out of the box. For them, it is a necessity to know who created the format so that they can start implementing needed support.

Sorry, just my $0.02. Hopefully no one is offended.

{p}

On 5/22/07, address@hidden < address@hidden> wrote:
> Plus, some of us Hydrogenaudio.org members feel that the current page does
> not give credit enough to Xiph.org. Merely saying "technical details - visit
> Xiph.org" (or something to that effect) does not give Xiph enough credit;
> after all, they *are* the creator of Ogg and Vorbis.

Be careful not to spark a fire. To demand that a creator of a software
must be acknowledge is quite touchy here. Because in fsf, and in free
software ideology, no one owns the software, including its author.
Credits were normally given out of respect, but freedom says you dun
have to. To let software creator who's all acknowledgment on his
creation is as equal to having no free software =/

--
Lam YongXian
Adolflam.com

FSF Member #5279