advocate

Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] web-based ogg player

From: John Levin
Subject: Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] web-based ogg player
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 14:04:23 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 01:46:52AM +0100, John Levin wrote:
Is there such a thing as a web-based ogg player?

Something along the lines of XSPF Music Player
http://musicplayer.sourceforge.net/

It's advocacy; if people want to grab that tune off the site, they have to go along with the format it's in ;)

To use that music player you must have a Flash Player installed.
To use Ogg Vorbis files directly, you just have to have any music player
installed.

Erm, no. Ogg doesn't come bundled in with Windows or OS X, and a number of music players don't play ogg out of the box.

So there isn't much of a difference.

Apart from one thing: there are very good Free Software players available for playing Ogg Vorbis; while the Free Software player for Flash (gnash) isn't really stable yet.

So I would say, installing a player for Ogg Vorbis is the better option.

But I am serving up the files, for someone else with their own machine. I don't have the option to install an ogg player on their box, whereas I do have control over my site, which is where I want to put an ogg-player.

There was no suggestion of replacing a desktop app with a web app.

John