advocate

Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Ogg Playing

From: Alexandro Colorado
Subject: Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Ogg Playing
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 08:36:23 -0500

On Mon, 21 May 2007 15:05:09 -0500, <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello, friends... I have some questions... (I'm not sure this is the place to ask this, but, anyway... I'm sorry if it isn't)

Can a band be sued for giving their songs for free in MP3/WMA format? Or only the software that plays MP3 has restrictions?

I'd like to make a sort of online radio in ogg... I have a small personal website, only for hobby, and would like to upload my favorite songs, and play them randomly... like m3u, pls... I'm not sure how to do that... and I was hoping to have javascript to automatically play it, stop, go to next song, etc... maybe it's asking too much... Does anybody know if this is possible? Where can I learn how to do that, if so?

Do you think open-source enthusiasts should offer proprietary options too, after all, free software is about freedom, or only the free ones?

Thank you so much

I am not a lawyer, but the licensing of mp3 is for encoding and decoding mp3 not on it's used. So the ones liable are the people making a decoder of mp3 (player) or encoders (mp3 creator).

However regardless if you are liable or not, this list is to expand the use of OGG and I think that having ogg vorbis streamer servers is vital for the usability of ogg vs. other formats.

--
Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jza