advocate

Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Separate website?

From: Silvia Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Separate website?
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 00:14:11 +1000

Also, Xiph does seem to appreciate the initiative
(http://www.wired.com/software/coolapps/news/2007/05/playogg).

I don't think that's the case. The feeling I got from the Xiph
community was that we're happy to have more exposure. There are just a
few weird things about the playogg initiative:

* why is it vorbis-focused and doesn't include speex, flac, theora, or dirac?
* why does it have such a strong vlc focus when there's other software
that supports Ogg Vorbis, too?
* why is xiph only mentioned in passing and not as the core
organisation to address wrt Vorbis? (the recent changes of wording are
good, btw :)

But generally, Xiph is very happy to have organisations like the fsf
push open formats. Archive.org, Wikipedia and Mozilla are other
organisations that have caught on by now. The more people talk about
open codecs, the better - we all want a free-er world.

Silvia.