Re: [DotGNU]PDF DOT GNU

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]PDF DOT GNU
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 08:53:04 +1000

On Saturday 04 January 2003 03:35 am, James Michael DuPont wrote:

> It re-occured to me my idea of encoding a pdf file as an IL.

Anything's possible.  If you want to play with that, then it may be an
interesting excursion.  Just keep the following in mind.

Rhys's Tenth Law of Optimization (or was it the Ninth?  I forget :-) ):

    "Load, interpret slowly" is usually faster than "Load, analyse,
    re-compile, save new form, re-load, run fast".

This is why our interpreter sometimes outperforms JIT's - it spends more time
executing and less time converting.  I suspect that a PDF viewer written in
C# that parses to a tree form and then displays immediately would actually
outperform "compile PDF to IL first".

But feel free to prove me wrong.

P.S. I'd love to see a PDF viewer written in C# using Qt# or Gtk# for the GUI.
That would be cool.