Re: [DotGNU]Testing of ILASM:

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Testing of ILASM:
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 04:40:55 +0530

If memory serves me right, Jeroen Frijters wrote:
> Some Java classes are not compiled to .NET types, but are instead remapped
> to existing .NET types. The most important ones are:
> - java.lang.Object -> System.Object
> - java.lang.String -> System.String
> - java.lang.Throwable -> System.Exception

So how do you handle the String.substring() for Java ?..

Java has String.substring(int start,int end) ...
C# has String.Substring(int start,int length) ...

The results is that we (meaning the people trying to run CSCC compiled
JVM code) have to duplicate the latter in the former and you have to
emulate the former in the latter ...

I understand that your idea is more like marking the methods as native
for the .class files emulated in .NET , but you might need something
to smooth over such petty featurelessness ..

We have done something like

ldc "HelloWorld"
invokestatic    "System/String" "__FromJavaString"
"(Ljava/lang/String;)LSystem/String;"

to act as an implicit conversion... internal to the compiler... and
then we have to make the JVM compiled mscorlib call the Java functions
like a wrapper...

Yeah, it's kinda low priority right now ... but that idea is still lurking.

Gopal