bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] gentoo

From: Arash Bijanzadeh
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] gentoo
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 12:25:53 +0430

On Monday 26 May 2003 11:57, Abbas Izad wrote:
> It seems it has been developed for developer but in my oponion, for common
> desktop users it has
> to be market as preinstalled systems.
> By the way, what did you use for USE-flags?
Nothing really, just added Kde and java as much as I remember. It was my irst
installation of gentoo ; and becouse my laptop is a Linux-uncompatible one -
Just SuSE was running on it before I decide to go to gentoo- I decided to
choose the most reliable way.
> one more thing is that KDE 3.1.2 is slow and a bit jumpy on my system.
> I read in gentoo mailing list that there is some problem for ATI-radeon
> graphics modules.
> maybe that's why my kde act a bit strange. what do you think about this
> kde-release?
I have KDE3.1.1 on my gentoo. But just updated to 3.1.2 on my Debian system.
And I didn't faced any crash till now. It seems really stable - and announced
as the one of the most stable releases in the kde.org -
But I have some other strange problems with the kde of my gentoo. It installs
KDE at /usr/kde/3. But other things like koffice at /usr, so i got to change
KDEDIRS, so kde supposed to detect the correct paths; but it still couldn't!
Really strange problem. I can run koffice in iceWM with no problem, but under
KDE it says "couldn't find the native MIME type"!!
Let me know if you installed koffice on KDE3.1.2 with no problem.
About the ATI I have really no idea.
cheers
Arash