bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] gentoo

From: Abbas Izad
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] gentoo
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 10:00:47 +0000

From: Aryan Ameri <address@hidden>
To: GNU/Linux in Iran <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 12:39:47 +0300

On Monday 26 May 2003 10:27, Abbas Izad wrote:
> It seems it has been developed for developer but in my oponion, for
> common desktop users it has
> to be market as preinstalled systems.

Oh c'mon, common desktop users would never use gentoo. It is a geeks
distro. It is for people who underestand (or want to underestand) the
design of a OS and Unix. It is for former BSD users who think that BSD
is going to die, so they are giving a try to the most BSD-like
GNU/Linux distro.

Common desktop users ( at least untill the end of this decade ) will use
Windoze.

It is spells Windows, here comes some of its most secret source code:

// TOP SECRET Microsoft(c) Code
// Project: Chicago(tm)
// Projected release-date: Summer 1998
#include "win31.h"
#include "win95.h"
#include "evenmore.h"
#include "oldstuff.h"
#include "bill_rulz.h"
#define INSTALL = HARD
char make_prog_look_big[1600000];
void main()
(
while(!CRASHED) (
    display_copyright_message();
    display_bill_rules_message();
    do_nothing_loop();
    if (first_time_installation) (
         make_50_megabyte_swapfile();
         do_nothing_loop();
         totally_screw_up_HPFS_file_system();
         search_and_destroy_the_rest_of_OS/2();
         hang_system();
    )
    write_something(anything);
    display_copyright_message();
    do_nothing_loop();
    do_some_stuff();
    if (still_not_crashed) (
         display_copyright_message();
         do_nothing_loop();
         basically_run_windows_3.1();
         do_nothing_loop();
         do_nothing_loop();
    )
)
if (detect_cache())
    disable_cache();
if (fast_cpu()) (
    set_wait_states(lots);
    set_mouse(speed, very_slow);
    set_mouse(action, jumpy);
    set_mouse(reaction, sometimes);
)
/* printf("Welcome to Windows 3.11"); */
/* printf("Welcome to Windows 95"); */
printf("Welcome to Windows 98");
if (system_ok())
    crash(to_dos_prompt);
else
    system_memory = open("a:|swp0001.swp",O_CREATE);
while(something) (
    sleep(5);
    get_user_input();
    sleep(5);
    act_on_user_input();
    sleep(5);
)
create_general_protection_fault();
)

Those who think different will use Mac. If/when Linux gets a
desktop presence, it's common users would use distros like Lindows,
Xandros, Lycoris, or at most, Mandrake.  Not gentoo.

> By the way, what did you use for USE-flags?
> one more thing is that KDE 3.1.2 is slow and a bit jumpy on my
> system.

Jumpy ??

>I read in gentoo mailing list that there is some problem for
> ATI-radeon graphics modules.

If your problem is driver related, check ATI's website. They are now
offering proprietary drivers (just like NVidia) for some of their
cards.

Cheers

--
/* There is SCO owned IP all over the Linux kernel. SCO will hunt them.
Free software infidels are liars. We will kill them all, and roast their

Aryan Ameri