bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] gentoo

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] gentoo
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 21:09:25 +0300

On Sunday 25 May 2003 19:50, Abbas Izad wrote:
> Hi
>
> >Duno which module you are talking about but I compiled 2.4.20 on
> > gentoo several times with no problem. gcc3.2.2 , I cann't remember
> > the glibc version
>
> I am trying gentoo and just want to check with you whether you have
> had same experiances.
> I have downloaded most of the files which are necessary to build a
> gentoo system (of course I missed some files that I had to download
> at home with modem). It took me some days to compile the system
> and kde. did it take as long for you too? my laptop has 1,8GHz 256Mb.
> I have had no problem
> with compilations.

Well, yeah laptops are generally slow, don't look at that 1.8 GHz thing;
they are slow. I have a 1.8 GHz laptop with 256 MB DDR RAM and it can't
compete with my old desktop Pentium III 600 MHz. Okay, that desktop was
overclocked and had many belles and whistels attached to it, but still
I expect a Pentium 4 1.8 GHz system to outperform that. It doesn't .

I have (unfortunately) never been able to give gentoo a try, but I have
heard that it takes two days to build everything. For a laptop it may
take more. But I guess after building the system, it is faster than
systems that have been compiled for 386.

--
/* There is SCO owned IP all over the Linux kernel. SCO will hunt them.
Free software infidels are liars. We will kill them all, and roast their

Aryan Ameri