www-it-traduzioni

Re: [www-it-traduzioni] Translation of "General Public License"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [www-it-traduzioni] Translation of "General Public License"
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:10:40 -0500

  > This correlation of meanings is broadly found also in Spanish, French and
  > Portuguese. But only Italian uses "generica."

Do you mean, only the Italian translations of gnu.org use "generica"
in the translation of the words "General Public License"?  I think so,
but could you confirm?

Anyway, it is clear that "generica" is the wrong word for this in
Italian.  It is the translation of English "generic", not "general".

                                                  TTBOMK, the derogatory
  > connotation is found only in Italian.

That connotation means that "generica" is not merely incorrect;
it is incorrect and harmful.

Please replace that with the Italian word for "general".
In Spanish we say "Licencia Pública General".

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation