Re: Swarm by example (was Re: Open source? -> Need to read source to mo

From: Joseph & Kathleen Villa
Subject: Re: Swarm by example (was Re: Open source? -> Need to read source to model?)
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 14:10:41 -0800

As a programming novice, I've been hungry for domain-specific frameworks that I can reuse in my simulations. (For my purposes, I use 'framework' to mean a reusable collection of objects that, together, can be used repeatedly toward a particular end in a domain specific context.)

As a would-be good citizen, I've been toying with the idea of creating such frameworks out of the simulations I've created. My intention is to then create web pages that talk a bit about my domain, explain the framework, and provide a working example. My fondest hope would be that other people interested in my domain would help me extend and/or refine these frameworks. Also, if I'm reinventing the wheel, this might be a nice way for people to see what I'm up to and help me avoid this dreaded activity.

I've put some sample pages together for a framework I've given the working title of the People-In-Action Framework, located at http://www.joware.com/Swarm/PIAF/index.htm, that I hope reflect my intention. The pages are still very rough. Worse yet, my sample application has compile problems that I'm trying to work through in swarm-support.

Nonetheless, what do you all think of this effort? Useful? Worth pursuing?

Regards,

Joseph.