Re: Open source? -> Need to read source to model?

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Open source? -> Need to read source to model?
Date: 17 Jan 2000 17:13:09 -0800

JO> IMO, Swarm programming skills are both required and
JO> not required depending on project role; i.e., when: 1) The
JO> business expert is using the agent-based modelling techniques that
JO> adequately express her/his requirements, and 2) the programmer can
JO> turn these models into running simulations that correctly reflect
JO> the expert's requirements.

JO> Does this make sense?

Yep, it's just that it depends on there being a programmer available to
work with the expert.  Because people getting started in ABM sometimes
have limited resources, it seems to me that the content of swarm-support
reflects this unfortunate scarcity.

It would be better if Swarm had components that could be manipulated with
UML CASE tools (or some kind of high-level IDE), but unfortunately
wishing won't make it so.  Even with that, there is a danger of
substituting one kind of opacity for another, i.e. would you rather
read a book on notation or a book on a programming language?