Current Roadmap

From: Chris Brannon
Subject: Current Roadmap
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:46:13 -0500

> This is an interesting possibility. It would mean we have the reverse
> problem of porting Speech Dispatcher modifications back to the
> OpenTTS codebase. I'm not sure if that would be less or more work.

Hello,
The point at which the code-bases diverge,
(with respect to functionality, is after the Speech Dispatcher 0.7 release.
Talking about lines of code, they diverged much earlier than that, due to
renaming, re-formatting, and reorganization in OpenTTS.
If we want to pick up the OpenTTS code-base, all the renaming needs to
be undone, or done again.

And then there are matters of style.  OpenTTS went with the layout conventions
from the Linux kernel coding standards.
Speech Dispatcher uses the GNU conventions, right?  So the
code would need to be reformatted a second time.

What about the repository history?
When changes were brought in to openTTS from Speech Dispatcher, they
had to be integrated by hand.
Changes brought in from Speech Dispatcher don't have the right authorship
info, although credit is given in the commit messages, along with
cross-references to the Speech Dispatcher repository.
If the OpenTTS code-base is adopted, what happens to the history?

Those are the major issues that occur to me.

-- Chris