Current Roadmap

From: William Hubbs
Subject: Current Roadmap
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:30:45 -0500

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 02:53:35AM +0200, Halim Sahin wrote:
> > >     * Rework of the settings mechanism to use DConf/GSettings
> >
> > This has my full support. I understand that people want human readable
> > configuration files, but on the other hand, I think we can develope a
> > modular configuration application that has text/curses, GTK and when
> > possible, QT UIs to allow users to tweak speech-dispatcher should they
> > choose to. We can abstract the configuration options that modules
> > present, so that out of tree modules can automatically be included in
> > the configuration UI, and can be adjusted etc.

All,

I have to say that I'm not sure I understand what this buys us.

As it stands, we have human readable configuration files, as well as a
library that can parse them easily, which I maintain.  The next plan for
dotconf is python bindings.

If we go to gconf/gsettings, that will make the configuration files non
human readable, and require us to develop interfaces for editing the
configuration, which seems to be re-inventing the wheel.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not aware of what doing this will
buy us compared to the extra work we will have to do just to make it
possible for users to modify the configuration.  Can someone post more
information about gconf and gsettings to explain this and why it is a
good idea compared to what we already have?

Thanks,

William