OT: Re: Current Roadmap

From: William Hubbs
Subject: OT: Re: Current Roadmap
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 16:00:03 -0500

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:02:55PM +0200, Halim Sahin wrote:
> Hi,
> >  I have found that it is much easier to edit code if we use tabs for
> >  indenting instead of spaces.  I would vote for keeping tabs for this
> >  purpose.  I am curious why you want to eliminate tabs?
>
> Oh no spaces are more robust for different editors.
> When using tab's you can't make sure that it looks similar in different
> editors.

Yes you can, just don't mix tabs and spaces.  The added advantage here
is that say I want my tab width to be 8, spaces but you want yours to be
4.  If we are using tabs, you can do that.  But spaces force all of us
to have the same indentation width.

The other disadvantage of using spaces is that, say I'm working on code
that uses spaces.  I've just written a new indented block of code.  Now,
I have to remember how many times to hit backspace to go back an
indentation level, but with tabs, I just hit one backspace per level I
want to go back.

William