Current Roadmap

From: Tomas Cerha
Subject: Current Roadmap
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 18:47:26 +0200

Dne 10.8.2010 16:47, Trevor Saunders napsal(a):
>>     * Rework of the settings mechanism to use DConf/GSettings
>
> I'm not sure this is a very good idea.  The big thing that I think we *need*
> do settings wise is get rid of the AddModule configuration option in
> speechd.conf.  In practice this seems to be the only option that people need
> change, otherwise most clients set everything else themself anyway to what
> they
> want.  I have some ideas how we can get rid of the AddModule option.  I also
> think configuration code should be auto generated from a description of the
> file, but I don't think that's as urgent.

Yes, I think our concerns were quite similar.  Module configuration should
definitely
not be necessary.  Speech Dispatcher should be able to discover available
modules
automatically.  It should be quite simple for modules from the Speech
Dispatcher source
tree.  All known modules would be on by default and Speech Dispatcher would
only need to
handle errors during loading these modules properly (not report these errors as
fatal,
log them consistently, etc).  Some configuration would only be necessary for
"out of the
tree" modules (including user defined generic modules).  Better than having
directives
in the main config file might be scanning configuration directory/directories
for per
module files.

Quite separate problem is getting rid of the dotconf library (I guess there is
no need
to explain why...).  We thought about dconf in this context, but this must be
explored
further.  As you noted above, it would not be of a great benefit in the current
situation, where clients mostly set everything for themselves according to their
configuration.  It would make more sense if the clients made use of Speech
Dispatcher's
configuration better and the advantage would be a central client wide
configuration.
That's a topic for a separate thread, however.

Best regards, Tomas