serbiangnome-lista

[Serbiangnome-lista] Re: Serbian (sr) language translation team: mainta

From: Keld Jørn Simonsen
Subject: [Serbiangnome-lista] Re: Serbian (sr) language translation team: maintainer unresponsive
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 21:25:47 +0200

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 08:54:51PM +0200, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:
> Kaixo!
>
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 05:18:46PM +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
>
> > > So, the suggested resolution should be: "sr" for Serbian language (which
> > > means also cyrillic alphabet), and "sh" for latin transcription.
> >
> > Whatever suits you better. The important thing is not to use non-standard
> > language codes. In a sense that might apply to "sh" as you wouldn't use it
> > for its intended purpose as I understood it. But I admit I know very
> > little about the details involved here with legacy from previous
> > (broken) usage of codes.
>
> The problem is that ISO language codes don't care about writting.
> So, there is a single code for Serbian, be it in latin or cyrillic,
> and a single code for Chinese, be it traditional or simplified, etc.
> For Chinese, zh_TW an zh_CN are used to distinguish the two;
> but for Serbian there is a problem.
>
> Different codes are needed anyway, but using "sh" and "sr" would be better
> than using "sr" and "sp"; as you never know if "sp" won't be attributed
> in the future ("sh" won't), adn woudl be an improvement on the current
> situation.

I learned in school that Kroatian and Serbian was the same language,
but written in different scripts. Would that be a safe way out?
hr as used in Serbia could be the language code for the Latin variant.
(but maybe that would be a political problem)
Is YU still used for Serbia or is there a iso 3166 code for Serbia?

Best regards
keld