Re: simply preserving sessions across disconnect

From: Adam Kellas
Subject: Re: simply preserving sessions across disconnect
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:13:32 -0700

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 6:01 AM, Rich Boyce <address@hidden> wrote:
> That's precisely how I use screen. The way I do it is to have a snippet in
> my bash login script which tests whether the scripts is running in screen
> already, and if not runs 'screen -RR':
>
> if [ ! $WINDOW ] ; then   # we're not already in screen
>        if [ -e `which screen` ]; then  # we've got screen available
>                screen -RR       # reattach to first available session
>                exit             # logout when finished
>        fi
> fi
>
> Note that I'm working in a networked environment where my home area is the
> same on my local workstation and all the servers I connect to.
>
> That works just how you're describing what you want. It's transparent during
> normal use, but if the connection to the remote server is lost then the
> session is restored upon reconnect.

Rich,

I'd be happy with a solution like this but can't see how it would work
for me. How could $WINDOW ever be set at initial login? Maybe, in your
case, you're using a command line ssh client which carries $WINDOW
with it? In my case each new login is from a Windows box using Putty
so nothing is the child of anything else from the initiating side.

AK