Re: simply preserving sessions across disconnect

From: Adam Kellas
Subject: Re: simply preserving sessions across disconnect
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 12:26:09 -0700

Ramon,

I think I failed to make the desired usage model clear. I gather most
people are in the mode of (a) log in, then (b) run "screen", and (c)
use screen thereafter to multiplex sessions. But my goal is to make
use of screen completely invisible[*]. In PuTTY one of the
configurables is the ssh "Remote Command" which by default is $SHELL.
I'm trying to configure putty with a remote command of "screen
<some-flags>" such that putty will automatically start up a screen
instance and that instance will either attach to an existing detached
session or create a new one. So one putty window == one screen window.
The idea is that this would be just like not using screen but sessions
aren't dropped when the network is.

[*] Aside from TERM=screen and the titlebar saying "Screen ..." and so on.

BTW, note that I have ssh public-key authentication set up so I don't
have to explicitly log in at all. Running putty (or any ssh client)
and telling it to connect to machine XYZ results in an immediate shell
prompt there.

Yes, I could bite the bullet and become a power screen user and
multiplex all my work through a single putty terminal (I think that's
what you're suggesting). Reasons to not do that: I like to use
different background colors to help me keep track of which machine or
SCM branch I'm working on, or perhaps debug vs release. And sometimes
I like a really wide window for monitoring a logfile. Etc. So there's
an existing pattern which I have an investment in and would prefer to
keep.

Thanks,
AK