Re: simply preserving sessions across disconnect

From: Adam Kellas
Subject: Re: simply preserving sessions across disconnect
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 15:23:58 -0700

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Adam Kellas <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Erik Osheim <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Did you just try -RR without -x?
>
> I've been trying -RR alone recently and it seems close but not right.
> I'm not ready to characterize the problem yet, so will come back when
> I've done so.

Here's what I've seen. When creating new ssh connections -RR alone
works as desired; it creates a clean new shell. However, when I test
the primary use case by dropping and reconnecting the VPN (I work
remotely, which is why this matters so much to me) a new putty
connection still creates a clean new session rather than reconnecting
to the previous one.

When I try -D -RR the situation flips (as expected). The first new ssh
connections after VPN reconnect attach to existing sessions (good).
But once all dropped sessions are reconnected, further ssh connections
simply fight over the old ones rather than creating new ones (bad).

In summary, all I want is a configuration that says "If there's an
unattached session, use it. Otherwise start a new one". This seems
really basic and I'm literally having trouble believing that it's not
available.

AK