reproduce-devel

[task #15764] Text editors in Maneage

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15764] Text editors in Maneage
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 12:19:59 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 80%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

I just added GNU Nano as a Basic software and GNU Emacs as a high-level
software in Commit df39c8d080d3
<https://gitlab.com/maneage/project-dev/-/commit/df39c8d080d3> of the
'new-software' branch of project-dev <https://gitlab.com/maneage/project-dev>.

Text editors are not directly related to the processing of the project,
however as described in the commit message, they are critical during the
processing of the project: when you move to another system that may not have
an editor at all! In particular this is strongly felt with Docker images (when
using a minimal OS like debian-slim), where you need to use './project shell',
but don't have any editor there to edit files :-(!

Nano is very small (in total 3.5MB), so I put it in 'basic.mk' to be available
in any project as a minimal/simple text editor. But even the minimal Emacs
(that we build here!) is roughly 180MB, so it is only built if requested in
'high-level.mk'.

I am thinking that for example if someone uses Emacs, they can add it in
'TARGETS.conf' during development if they work on multiple systems, but upon
publication, they can remove it from 'TARGETS.conf'.

Raul, maybe you can also add the 'vim' editor in 'high-level.mk'?  I tried to
do it, but since I am not familiar with its features (to know which ones are
not necessary to add extra dependencies). If we can build it with minimal
dependencies (like Emacs, where I disabled almost everything extra!) it would
be good ;-).

Once Vim is also included and tested on a few systems, we can merge this
branch into Maneage. First I wanted to post this on
task #15698 (New or updated software). But text editors aren't analysis
software, so I thought the discussion can follow independent of that general
task here.

Please share your thoughts about adding text editors.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15764>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/