reproduce-devel

[task #15764] Text editors in Maneage

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15764] Text editors in Maneage
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 10:12:26 -0400 (EDT)

Update of task #15764 (project reproduce):

        Percent Complete:                     80% => 100%

Follow-up Comment #6:

Thanks a lot Raul and Mohammad-reza! This job is now merged into Maneage as
Commit 87948105 <http://git.maneage.org/project.git/commit/?id=87948105>.

I tried the VIM install on my system and noticed that it is linking to many
extra GUI-related libraries on my system, so after some searching, I was able
to disable all the GUI-related and network functionality. So like Emacs and
Nano (and all other Maneaged software), the only host library that VIM needs
from the host is the C library :-).

Thanks Mohammadreza for sharing your thoughts on Nano being part of
high-level. I also thought a lot about it, but the problem is that 'sed' and
'awk' aren't interactive editors, it will be extremely frustrating to correct
a shell-script or C/Python program with SED (although certainly not
impossible!).

Since Maneage is in pure plain-text, if all Maneaged projects come with at
least Nano installed, interactive editing of Maneaged projects will also be
easy to do. Its the same with Git (which we install in 'basic.mk'): Git isn't
related directly related to the analysis of the project, but Maneage is
organized with Git and whoever uses Maneage will probably need Git too, and
some systems don't have it! So although you don't need Git to build Maneage
from a tarball, after its finished, you will have Git to start building upon
the history if you want ;-).

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15764>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/