Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Probleme with rdiff on smbfs

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Probleme with rdiff on smbfs
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 13:22:22 -0400

On Oct 7, 2008, at 10:39 PM, EliW wrote:
BTW, on a related note, it seems like it would be nice, to me, if there was a 3rd option? A 'smart-override'? Basically, where the first time it creates/detects/finds a new file, it uses the appropriate caps. Then, if it finds another file named the same, but with different caps, it then escapes that second file.

Sure, with some effort, that might be possible. Patches are welcome. :-)

I suggest you add it to the list of Suggested Features on the Wiki:
http://wiki.rdiff-backup.org/wiki/index.php/SuggestedFeatures

Use --override-chars-to-quote ''

(don't put anything between the '')

That doesn't help, same issue, same error. And I had originally included the ';' because you had a post on Backup Central somewhere that I read where you stated that it was best to include ';'.

But anyway, neither works.   The second run causes that error.

The ; is only necessary if you are quoting any other characters at all, since the ; signals the start of a quoting sequence. If you aren't quoting anything, then it's not (logically) necessary.

I'm surprised that '' doesn't work for you. I just tested it again, and it works for me, but I only tested with the same FS on both sides.

What does `python -V` return for you?

I think you will need to continue quoting quite a few characters, particularly the ones affected by the mapchars option to CIFS -- colon, question mark, pipe, asterik, greater than and less than characters. Basically, I think the CIFS options are affecting what you need to quote.

You should let rdiff-backup run normally, then see what the 'chars_to_quote' file says, which is located inside the rdiff-backup- data dir on your destination.

Andrew