Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Probleme with rdiff on smbfs

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Probleme with rdiff on smbfs
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 22:26:06 -0400

On Oct 7, 2008, at 10:12 PM, EliW wrote:
Just tonight I realized something ... I still have one 'small' issue.

Currently, when doing backups, it's escaping all capitals, which is annoying :)

It's also safer. Your SMB share does not differentiate uppercase from lowercase. If you have two files, README and Readme, then one will overwrite the other and you *WILL* lose data. That is why rdiff-backup escapes uppercase characters on systems which can't distinguish them.

Rdiff-backup tests for this automatically on startup and determines the appropriate course of action.

If you do the restore with rdiff-backup, it will automatically handle the necessary un-escaping.

So, I go and make a new backup with a command such as:
/usr/bin/rdiff-backup -v5 --override-chars-to-quote ';' /home/svn / mounts/drobo/Backups/quiver.svn

Use --override-chars-to-quote ''

(don't put anything between the '')

Andrew