Re: How to add files to an existing img partition.

From: Frantisek Rysanek
Subject: Re: How to add files to an existing img partition.
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 17:35:09 +0200

On 28 Jun 2020 at 10:30, DC wrote:

> Partition Magic is still around?  I remember the Dos versions, but
> thought they had closed shop years ago.

I believe it's as dead as ever - I mean since 2009, if Wikipedia is
to be believed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PartitionMagic
Same thing with the DOS-based binaries of Ghost.

I meant to say that if you have an archived version, including a
license key or whatever the deal was, it should work even today
on Win98 and XP disks. You only need to run it in a VM guest, with
your image attached.

> There's a Partition Master, but it only opens partitions on your
> hard drive.  As far as I can see, it won't open BxImage image files,
> that act as repositories for Windows partitions.

Partition Master looks nice. I have quite some respect for EaseUS for
their data recovery software. If the Partition Master is half as good
and free, that's your tool I guess. But again, it will only work
inside the image, it won't change the image file size - and you'd
need to run the Partition Master in a VM or present the whole disk to
Windows via some loopback driver (or via iSCSI from some OS that can
work as an iSCSI target over raw images - such as Linux).
Windows Server 2016 apparently can work as an iSCSI target, not sure
if it can serve raw images though. Probably not.
https://www.informaticar.net/how-to-setup-windows-server-2016-as-iscsi
-target/

> There might be an alternative, though, in Wine
> https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/android/
>
> It doesn't host OSs, from what I can see.  But it seems to host
> individual Windows applications, specifically in android.  That
> would be perfect, if true.

Wine tends to be compatible with Windows apps "to a degree".
Try it and see for yourself :-)
Wine is traditionally geared for gaming and basic office apps.
E.g., ActiveX is broadly compatible, but last time I checked, any
non-trivial system crypto/auth support was missing. Not much use for
business apps (native/fat ERP clients etc).

Frank