Re: [Phpgroupware-users] More LDAP questions

From: Bradley W. Langhorst
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] More LDAP questions
Date: 13 Oct 2002 09:48:01 -0400

On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 20:58, Des Dougan wrote:
> Like one of the other recent posters, I'm running the Mitel SME Server
> Linux distribution (formerly e-smith), which uses gdbm. And like others,
> I'm having LDAP problems.

> I'm trying to configure, in the Authentication/Accounts section of the main
> configuration screen, phpGW to use LDAP for authentication and user
> accounts. There are several issues from my perspective:
>
> 1. If "LDAP accounts context" and "LDAP groups context" are left blank,
> only the last entry in the LDAP database is displayed. In looking through
> the mailing list archives, I saw a posting that indicated these two
> configuration values were required. As, by default, the SME Server has a
> flat LDAP structure, this seems to be causing a problem.
I don't know what that means... what do you use this ldap store for?
post the results of an ldapsearch -x uid=someuid so i can understand
better

> 2. On my test box, I therefore added to the LDAP database, using the LDAP
> Browser utility, two OUs ("people" and "groups"). I moved all my people
> entries (just 5 on this box) into the "ou=people" container. I then went
> back to the configuration screen and added the two entries, including the
> "ou=" portion. When I go into the "Modify an existing LDAP account store
> for use with phpGroupWare (for a new install using LDAP accounts)" menu
> option, I see no user names at all. My messages file shows:

try doing the search manually to be sure that you have everything set
right in the ldap store.

> 3. Another poster stated a belief that LDAP wasn't working in the current
> 0.9.14 release. However, postings in the archive seem to indicate
> otherwise. Could someone associated with the project provide a definitive
> statement on the status of LDAP?
It's not working correctly if you don't have a givenname and sn
attribute set for each user. I'm working on it at the moment and I think
I'm making some progress but I'm just learning this code so I'm not 100%
sure yet.  I'm not officially associated with the project so maybe that
doesn't help you.

> I've been trying to use phpGW ad it looks a really good tool (bugs and
> incomplete features notwithstanding), and I have a client interested in it
> for its global address book features (and perhaps time tracking). To me it
> seems streets ahead of other PHP applications like Twiggi, and it would be
> a great shame if LDAP support let it down.
yep - that's why i'm trying to fix it - it's better than the
alternatives.

brad