Re: [paragui-users] PG_Application::SetBackground(...)

From: Teunis Peters
Subject: Re: [paragui-users] PG_Application::SetBackground(...)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:25:02 -0800 (PST)

On 21 Feb 2003, Kamil Skalski wrote:

> > since I dump the images into opengl texturespace... *g* it's quite fast.
> > but anyways, changing texture information -isn't- fast...
>
> That is surely best solution for static images/theme elements. But GUI
> system should support easy way to make my own drawings into specified
> parts of screen. I liked way which I saw in PG_GLWidget with its
> eventBlit (there was possible to do my own GL drawing within this
> event). All I am curious by now is if there would be possible similiar
> way to make background drawing.

it WILL happen (and to some extend already works) - am figuring out how to
handle opengl technical details now...

> >     never render from multiple threads
>
> BTW I once made myself in trouble when drawing something within timer
> routine and not locking screen by PG_Application::LockScreen(), but now
> it seems all right.

I come back to this.
ANY call in opengl from a thread that is -not- the one that opened the
opengl window -WILL- crash either the program, X, or possibly the
computer.  I've seen all of these with Matrox card.  Locking doesn't help.
Doesn't make any difference at all to this situation - the driver itself
crashes to abort a worse problem (such as "smoking card").

It's safe to render in SDL from other threads btw...

I'm not yet sure what threading is like on other platforms (but I've heard
MacOS is pickier than X here) and note that nVidia drivers don't have this
problem...

G'day, eh? :)
        - Teunis